Apple is planning to ship between 75 and 80 million 5G iPhones this year, according to a new Bloomberg report The figure remains in line with or a little higher than iPhone launch shipments for the last number of years, suggesting that Apple does not expect the coronavirus pandemic to moisten need– even though the company has already said the phones will be delayed into October.
Bloomberg’s report likewise includes a broad roundup of what Apple is said to be planning for its fall hardware announcements. Here’s what Mark Gurman and Debby Wu expect:
- Four new iPhones with OLED screens coming in sizes of 5.4, 6.1, or 6.7 inches; the 6.1-inch size will be an option for both the steel-edged “Pro” line and the lower-end aluminum equivalent to the present iPhone11 All of the iPhones have a brand-new design with square edges, and the steel Pro designs are expected to deliver later than the aluminum variants.
Analyst Ming-chi Kuo predicted today ( through AppleInsider) that Apple will deliver simply 4-6 million iPhones with millimeter wave technology in 2020, which is way short of Bloomberg’s figure. That recommends that it may just come to specific Pro designs that are delivering later on in the year, or that Apple will deliver various hardware in various regions.
- A new iPad Air design with slim bezels, similar to the iPad Pro. Unverified images of a handout for a new iPad Air, with slim bezels and a Touch ID finger print sensor on the power button, appeared on Twitter last week
- 2 new Apple Watch variants: a straight follower to the Series 5, and a lower-end Series 3 replacement.
- A smaller, more affordable HomePod wise speaker.
- Apple-branded (i.e. not Beats) over-ear earphones.
A brand-new Apple TV with an updated processor and new remote control is likewise stated to be in the works, although it may not be ready this year. Bloomberg anticipates Apple to make iOS 14 offered in September, regardless of the postponed iPhone releases.
Update, 4: 30 AM ET: Included note from Ming-chi Kuo on millimeter wave shipments.